Gain valuable museum experience and work closely with professional staff by interning at the Lee-Fendall House Museum. We are offering the following Fall 2018 internship:
The Lee Fendall House Museum is pleased to offer a 3-month long education internship opportunity for qualified candidates. The intern will assist full-time staff with the development and facilitation of educational programs. The intern will develop skills useful for future professional employment. We are seeking candidates who have an interest in history and museum education and who enjoy working with the public, especially children and families. Training on the history of the Lee-Fendall House, as well as an explanation of tour methods will be provided. Funding for this position is provided by the Society of the Lees of Virginia.
- Assist with the facilitation of school, youth and family, and adult programs.
- Work with staff to develop school, homeschool, and family programs.
- Research and find materials that support student and visitor engagement at the museum.
- Occasionally assist with off-site outreach programs.
- 18 years or older.
- Pursuing a degree in history, museum studies, or education (or a recent graduate)
- Knowledge of Virginia and American history and culture.
- Physical ability to lead indoor and outdoor walking tours (including stairs).
- Enthusiastic and friendly personality.
- Scheduling is somewhat flexible, but the intern must work 12 hours per week.
- Must be able to work at least one weekend program a month.
- Stipend of $1,000 for the semester.
- Professional orientation and ongoing training sessions.
- Complimentary admission to Lee-Fendall House Museum tours and programs.
- Complimentary admission to local museums and historic sites through the Historic House Museum Consortium of Washington, DC.
Applications must be submitted by August 10th. To apply, send an email to the Assistant Manager of Operations, Amanda Roper, at email@example.com and include the following:
– Cover Letter
– Contact information of professor or advisor overseeing the internship (if seeking college credit)