Henry “Light Horse Harry” Lee – American Revolutionary leader, ninth Governor of Virginia, and father of Confederate General Robert E. Lee – sold this town lot at the corner of Oronoco Street to his relative Philip R. Fendall in 1784. Fendall oversaw construction of the wood frame mansion which was completed in 1785. Between 1785 and 1903, the house was a residence for several generations of the Lee family and their African American servants. This period of residency was interrupted during the Civil War when the Union Army turned the property into a hospital for wounded soldiers.
By 1907, the house had been purchased by Robert Downham, a prominent Alexandria liquor purveyor, who resided with his family in the house for the next thirty-one years. In 1937, Downham conveyed the house to John L. Lewis. President of the United Mine Workers and founder of the Congress of Industrial Organizations, Lewis was one of the most powerful and controversial labor leaders in American history. He lived in this house during the height of his career. Upon Lewis’ death in 1969, the future of the house was threatened until the Virginia Trust for Historic Preservation (VTHP) purchased it and opened it as a house museum in 1974.
The house and its collections present a timeline of nineteenth and early twentieth century history and family life. Furnishings on display include a splendid collection of Lee family heirlooms and period pieces produced by local and regional craftsmen. Historical records, including inventories of the house, continue to guide the museum’s restoration and furnishing efforts.
The Lee-Fendall House Museum exhibits Lee family items such as portraits, jewelry, decorative objects, documents, letters, and books. The Lee-Fendall House Museum is pleased to exhibit the largest public collection of furniture manufactured by the Green Furniture Company. The Green family of cabinetmakers operated the largest furniture factory in Alexandria during the nineteenth century.
When Phillip R. Fendall had the mansion built, the property needed to support all the functions of his large household which probably included as many as twelve enslaved men, women, and children. According to the 1796 fire assurance policy, Mr. Fendall filled up the half-acre yard with stables, laundries, a rabbit house, a pigeon house, a two-story wooden slave dwelling, a warehouse, and his office. A kitchen garden was also included.
By the time Louis and Harriott Cazenove purchased Lee-Fendall House in 1850, the needs of city dwellers had changed. The Industrial Revolution had removed the need for extensive on-site production of foodstuffs. The garden could be turned to more ornamental purposes. It had been long suspected that the Cazenoves complemented their 1850-52 renovation of the mansion with a full renovation of the yard. In 2010, an archaeological excavation funded by the Save America’s Treasures grant program was conducted by the Louis Berger Group of Washington, DC. The excavations revealed the most complete nineteenth century urban landscape uncovered to date in Alexandria and confirmed that the Cazenoves had completely overhauled the Lee-Fendall House landscape. The full garden report can be read here:
Today, a beautiful, award-winning half-acre garden complements the Lee-Fendall House. Development of the garden began in 1974 as a labor of love by the Alexandria Council of Garden Clubs. The Council established an endowment fund which continues to support a portion of the garden’s ongoing maintenance and restoration costs. A rose garden grows many varieties of heritage roses. An herb garden recalls how herbs were used as flavoring agents, medicine, insect repellents, and fragrances. English boxwoods line the brick path and squirrels, a symbol on the Lee family coat-of-arms, scamper across the lawn.
Trees of particular interest in the garden are a black walnut and ginkgo as well as a magnificent magnolia, which was planted circa 1852. Peer beneath the magnolia for a glimpse of the tombstone of Eleanor Fendall (1708-1759), mother of Philip R. Fendall. There is no grave, the stone was saved from destruction and brought to the property in her memory.
Once charged with saving the house from demolition, today the VTHP is committed to implementing an aggressive preservation strategy that will reverse centuries of deferred maintenance. The organization’s goal is to improve access to the building and improve the overall visitor experience, while preserving and documenting the structure’s important and unique historic features.
The VTHP concentrated its initial efforts on a major structural restoration in 2005. The main structural beam and two sills were replaced. The replacement of a third sill will complete the structural restoration phase. These efforts have been made possible by grant funding from the federal government, the Commonwealth of Virginia, and the City of Alexandria, as well as contributions from numerous private foundations and individuals. The continued support of these groups, and of others, will be necessary to restore the Lee-Fendall House to its historic grandeur.
The Lee-Fendall House Museum & Garden embarked on a phased interior restoration project in July 2011. This initiative focuses on replacing the current interiors with wallpaper, paint, and window hangings appropriate to the periods of interpretation. With generous support from the Historic Alexandria Foundation and the International Furnishings and Design Association, the first stage of the project will restore the dining room to its 1850s appearance.
Future projects include stabilization and repair of the kitchen chimney as well as external restoration of the siding, paint, and decorative elements.
To contribute to this restoration effort, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-548-1789.
Stratford Hall – Constructed in 1738, Stratford Hall is the boyhood home of Declaration of Independence signers Richard Henry Lee and Francis Lightfoot Lee, and the birthplace of Robert E. Lee.